Text Function in Excel
What is the Text Function in Excel?
The Text function in Excel returns a number in a specified number format, as text. You can use the Text function to embed formatted numbers inside the text. Let me give you an example.
How to Use Text Function?
In the given example below, we need to write “GP is $100” using TEXT function. As a result, if GP changes to $500 (as an example), then we just change the number in cell C2, and it will be automatically changed in C4, where the Text function will be used.
- Put a ‘=‘ sign in the cell C4 and reference the cell B2, where “GP” is written.
- Connect the cell references and the text with ‘&’.
- You need to type the text in the parenthesis. In our example, we want to write “GP is $100”, so the text in parenthesis will be “ is ”. Notice, that we need the space before and after “is”, otherwise it will be all together (like “GPis$100”, which we don’t want to happen).
- Link the cell references and the text with ‘&’.
- Let’s use the TEXT function for the cell C2, so if the number in C2 will change, it will also automatically change in our text.
- Create a reference the cell C2 within the TEXT function.
- Put a reference the cell C2 within the TEXT function
- After referencing the cell with the number we need in our text, we need to put the format as we want it to appear in our text, as it shown on the picture below.
- Click “Enter” after you finish writing the formula.
Now the text in the cell C4 is flexible. Therefore, if we change the values in the referenced cells (in the cell C2 in our example), the text will change as well.
You can see in the pictures below, that when we have changed the value in the cell C2 from “$100” to “$500”, it has changed in our text in C4 as well.
The Excel Text Function is used to convert numbers to text within a spreadsheet. Essentially, the function will convert a numeric value into a text string. Text function is available in all versions of Excel. Learn more text function in our next blogs and by playing our Hot Key Excellence Game.